Saturday, November 17, 2012

Lemon Snowflakes


[This recipe was originally published in conjunction with the Meijer ad week of 11/18/12 - 11/24/12]

The first time I read the ingredients for this recipe I thought "no way is this going to work."  But I was wrong, and I'm glad!  These soft-and-chewy cookies are a nice change from the typical chocolate treats served during the holiday season.  Make them tiny and add them to your candy platters, or make them a little larger and put them in your kids' lunches. 

Ingredients:
1  18.25 oz lemon cake mix (regular, double-layer size)
2 1/4 cups whipped topping (Cool Whip or generic brand)
1 egg
powdered sugar

Directions:
Beat together the cake mix, whipped topping, and egg on medium speed until well blended.  (Batter will be very sticky.)  Put about 1 cup of powdered sugar into a shallow bowl.  Drop 1 tablespoon of batter in the powdered sugar.  Use your spoon to turn and roll the batter piece over and around until it is coated lightly with powdered sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheet.  Repeat with additional tablespoonfuls of batter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-11 minutes, or until VERY lightly browned.  Yield:  5-7 dozen, depending on how large you make your cookies.

Options and Tips:
  • Be careful to not overbake, or you will end up with crispy cookies instead of soft and chewy cookies. 
  • These cookies mix up very quickly, but are a little time-consuming to prepare for the oven.  However, you can bake a LOT of them on one cookie sheet if you make them small, so at least you're not baking only 12 at a time as you would for regular-sized cookies.
  • Have your kids help you with the rolling and coating in powdered sugar.  It's a fun and easy job, albeit a bit messy!
  • These cookies freeze well for months!
I found this recipe in an old Taste of Home pamphlet, called "Best-Ever Christmas Cookies and Candies."

2 comments:

  1. These look amazing. don't you love Taste of Home, I don't get it anymore, but I have kept all my old copies, and I still rummage through them every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reminded about these when I saw your new Cherry Chip version! I NEED to try them both out! They look good!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete