Friday, April 12, 2013

Cookies For Breakfast, Part Two


We've already talked about how cookies can be part of a healthy breakfast (insert smirk).  My family really enjoys these cookies, but I had seen another version of the breakfast cookie on Pinterest, so I wanted to try this one as well.  

This cookie recipe definitely has more than 2 ingredients, so it takes a little longer to mix up.  But it does include protein, which adds to the health benefits of, well, eating cookies for breakfast.

If you try this recipe (and again, I highly recommend that you do!), here are some tips to get you started:
  • I did not have protein powder in the house, so I substituted ground flaxseed (the same stuff I use in granola bars).  I know, it's not protein, but it's a dry ingredient, and it has its own health benefits.  This worked just fine.
  • I didn't have butter extract either, and it was an optional ingredient anyway.  So, I left it out.
  • I tried just greasing the pan rather than putting parchment paper on it.  This worked well, so if you don't have parchment paper in the house, you can still make these cookies.
  • I mixed the chocolate chips into the cookie dough rather than pushing them into the top of each cookie.
  • Do NOT bake these cookies for 30 minutes as instructed!  I only baked them for 15 minutes, and they were completely done and even a little bit dark on the bottom.
  • We did not like these cookies quite as well as the 2-ingredient breakfast cookies that I tried...but they were still pretty good.  And they have protein in them, so if that's what you're looking for, I would recommend trying this recipe instead of the 2-ingredient cookies.
  • One advantage that this breakfast cookie has (over the 2-ingredient version) is that these cookies are still good on Days 2 and 3.  Honestly, they smell nasty when you open the container, but the taste and texture is almost as good as when the cookies are fresh out of the oven.

This recipe is posted as part of April's theme, Spring Clean Your Eating Habits.  Want to read more?  Head over here to catch up on any articles you might have missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment