Saturday, April 28, 2012

Kids' Favorite Green Beans


(This recipe was originally posted in conjunction with the Meijer Ad Week of 4/29/12 - 5/5/12)

We love the classic green bean casserole at our house, but this recipe is a nice change of pace from that old stand-by.  My friend Bobbi over at Favorite Family Foods posted this recipe a few weeks ago, and I knew I wanted to try it right away.  My kids actually turned up their noses at it until I told them what it was called...and then they tried it and of course, liked it!  I doubled the recipe and it was GONE, so I'll probably triple it next time.

8/11/12 edit:  I've made this with fresh green beans many times this summer, and it's even better!


Head over to Favorite Family Foods to check out this delicious side dish.  Enjoy!

Options and Tips
  • I used 6 strips of bacon for a double recipe and it was plenty.
  • Check out the comments section of the recipe to see my question and Bobbi's answer about making it potluck-friendly.
  • I used my Vidalia onion chopper to cut up the onion, but if you know you won't have time to mess with chopping anything, grab a bag of frozen diced onion the next time you're at the grocery store.  Meijer stocks it next to the rest of their frozen vegetables or sometimes near their frozen potatoes.  You could also substitute a couple shakes of dry minced onion instead.
    Thanks for the great recipe, Bobbi!

No comments:

Post a Comment