Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cherry Chip Bread


(This recipe was first posted in conjunction with the Meijer Ad Week of 4/29/12 - 5/5/12)

This moist and delicious quick bread really is quick, because gets a jumpstart from a boxed cake mix.  Betty Crocker is the only brand that makes Cherry Chip, so snatch up a box this week while it's on sale!

Ingredients:
Bread:
1 - 15.25oz box Cherry Chip cake mix
1 - 3.4oz box instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 C hot water
1/3 C coconut (optional)
Glaze:
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp almond OR vanilla extract


Directions:
Beat all bread ingredients together on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Pour into two large, lightly greased loaf pans.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees.  Cool.  Mix together glaze ingredients and drizzle glaze over bread.  Allow glaze to harden.  Store in a sealed container.  (Plastic wrap not recommended because it will pull off the glaze.)

Options and Tips
  • We also like this bread fresh out of the oven before the glaze is on!
  • Bread can also be stored in the fridge for a cold treat.
  • Some people like coconut, some don't.  If you want to have something for everyone, pour half the batter into one loaf pan, and mix about 2 and 2/3 tablespoons of coconut into what's left before pouring it into the other loaf pan.
  • To create more loaves of bread out of this recipe, divide the batter into one large loaf pan plus three small loaf pans.  Watch carefully, because the smaller loaves will need less baking time.


 This recipe, in its original form, can be found on page 48 of Heritage Christian School's "Favorite Family Recipes" cookbook.  Glaze recipe is my own.

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this one! I didn't even know there was a cherry chip mix. Learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think this will freeze well???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ever frozen it because it's always GONE so fast here :) However, the bread should freeze just as well as any quick bread or muffin, but I would recommend freezing it without the glaze. My guess is that as a glazed loaf thaws, the glaze will get runny and make the top of the bread kind of mushy or gooey. So, just glaze it after it has thawed completely. I am freezing half of a glazed loaf right now just to try it...I'll let you know!

      Delete
    2. Definitely freeze it WITHOUT the glaze. I took my glazed half loaf out of the freezer and defrosted it and the top got really mushy and saturated. The glaze also got kind of watery instead of staying nice and hard.

      Delete
  3. Thanks! So I made this today and did freeze one loaf and am ready to put the glaze on the other. I always struggle iwht what kind of container to store my bread (this, banana bread, poppy seed). I usually keep it on the counter in a zip-lock bag and cut as needed....I don't seem to have a good Tupperware type container to store bread in, unless I cut it?? What do you use or do? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the Tupperware container that is meant to freeze a half gallon of ice cream, and a regular loaf fit perfectly...but my container is really old and I'm not sure they sell them anymore. You could also use the "Prep Essentials cold cut keeper" which is basically a 9x9 container...but check the height...if your loaves are too tall they won't fit in there.

      Delete