Monday, January 30, 2012

Pork Barbeque Sandwiches


(This recipe was first posted in conjunction with the Meijer Ad Week of 1/28/12-2/4/12)

Pork barbeque is a delicious way to use up that leftover pork!  Leftovers from this recipe (is that leftovers of the leftovers?) freeze well.

Ingredients:
4 cups cooked, shredded pork roast or loin
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup barbeque sauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp margarine
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup water

Directions:
Shred meat and set aside.  Cook remaining ingredients in a small saucepan on medium heat, until mixture begins to bubble.  Mix sauce with meat.  Serve on hamburger buns.

Options and Tips
  • The meat will shred the easiest if it is still slightly warm...so if you plan to make pork barbeque from your leftover pork loin dinner, shred it right after supper.  Using two forks to shred it has worked the best for me.
  • If you have more than 4 cups of leftover pork, simply adjust the sauce recipe accordingly...but always err on the side of extra sauce!
  • If you like your pork barbeque with a little more kick, use a full cup of barbeque sauce and leave out the ketchup...or add a few drops of Tabasco.

This recipe in its original form can be found on page 348 of Hull PRCS's Bountiful Blessings cookbook.  I altered the recipe slightly.

2 comments:

  1. I received a great tip via email from Katie K. She says, "I figured out about 2 months ago a VERY easy way to shred chicken and pork. Once, it's cooked, stick it in your kitchen aid mixer and turn it on on a slow speed. This will shred it for you. It works awesome! I only ever do it this way anymore and it saves so much time. I just did it last week for my pork bbq too. The meat does need to be warm though as it will work better. The longer you beat it, the more shredded it gets. If you have a splatter guard for your mixer, I'd use it. it does splatter a bit. If you are careful with how much you put in though and use the slowest speed, it's not bad. I just thought, I'd share this tip."
    Thanks, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The absolutely BEST pulled pork barbeque I have ever had; I don't usually care for barbeque sauce too much; this was soooo goooood!!! Thanks Ann

    ReplyDelete