As you probably know, meat is (usually) the most expensive component of any meal. If you leave it out, you'll save money. Simple, right?
Don't worry, I'm not suggesting you become a vegetarian. Nor am I advising you to go 31 days without eating meat, or telling you to completely change the way you cook. Your family probably wouldn't be agreeable to any of those things.
But...try serving just one meatless meal each week, and see if anyone even notices! You don't have to search the web for new recipes or serve tofu and sprouts. Just think about what you'd normally make for supper, and try converting it to something meatless.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Grilled cheese and tomato soup
- Breakfast for supper: eggs and toast, pancakes, waffles, French toast
- Supreme pizza with extra veggies, but no meat
- Taco Soup minus the ground beef (or try leaving the meat out of your favorite soup recipe)
- Bean burritos instead of beef burritos
- Breakfast Burritos with no meat
Tomorrow, we'll talk about how to save money on meat when you just can't bear to leave it out completely :)
Have you ever tried to go meatless? Do you have any meatless main dishes in your recipe collection?
I'm writing about Saving Money in the Kitchen for 31 days straight! I still haven't run out of ideas, so check back every day for more money-saving tips. If you missed the previous articles in this series, you can find them here.